Lemon Basil Orzo Salad, is actually the most versatile salad I know. The simple salad focuses on the produce, so break out that fancy olive oil you have and buy those crazy bio tomatoes - maybe even harvest your basil growing somewhere and get cooking!
(serves 2, or 1 if you are feeling famished)
2 handful of basil
1 whole lemon (pretty large)
1 garlic clove
- Cook the orzo per instructions on the packaging!
- Put the basil (washed) into a blender or food processor
- Zest the whole lemon
- Add lemon juice - I usually cut away the skin and add the entire lemon to minimise food waste
- Drizzle the olive oil (like a cup worth of it, don’t be shy)
- Add the salt and pepper (freshly cracked)
- Mince and add the garlic
- Blitz it all together until the basil appears to be finely chopped.
By now the orzo should be done, rinse under cold water and then toss the salad along with a few handfuls of arugula. Decorate with tomatoes, add some extra salt and pepper, maybe another basil leaf (or five) and a few dashes of olive oil. If you like lemon, add some extra zest and then you’re done! Ready to enjoy!